The Lao Handicraft Association, the peak body representing handicraft artisan in Laos, was established as a non-profit organisation on April 1st 1998. It operates in Vientiane under the supervision of the Lao National Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Offices of the LHA are located in five provinces of Laos: Luang Prabhang, Xiengkhouang, Houaphan, Savannakhet and Champasak.
Snapshot of LHA membership in 2012
- 129 members
- Approximately 73% of members come from Vientiane
- 25% of businesses are currently exporting products
Services to members
- Workshops and seminars on business management, marketing and product development
- Study tours
- Networking opportunities
- The annual Lao Handicraft Festival.
The LHA is led by a Board of Directors and supported by two Senior Advisory Committees.
Objectives of the LHA
Gather and preserve the handicraft
- Bring small entrepreneurs toghether for collaborative opportunities of mutual benefit
Promote and develop
- The products in term of quality
- The number of members
- The producers to strengthen theirs skills
Link and partenership between private and government organisation
- Facilitate the entry to other market
- Trade between Laos and overseas markets